28 May 2009

Why I Bought Pepper Spray

Are you kidding me? Seriously.

As if getting my butt out of bed in the morning isn't enough.
As if getting out the door by 6:30 a.m. isn't enough.
As if spending an hour every stinking morning running - no less - isn't enough.

You've got to be kidding me.

So, I live on the outskirts of my city. Instead of getting in my car and wasting thirty minutes driving to the gym each morning I've started putting on my running shoes and heading out the door - running in the country. It's beautiful. Fields. Old farm houses. Plenty of smelly lilac trees. Small rolling hills. My ipod. A nice morning breeze. It's perfect really.

I've plotted out the perfect five mile course and run it in under an hour - not too shabby I'd say. I'm just proud of myself for doing it. It's still a big deal for me. I've never been a runner. Ever. It scared me - I used to think my heart would pound out of my chest and I could never get enough oxygen to my lungs - it felt like I would die.

Like I said, it scared me. Well, I've overcome the fear. Only to be given another fear. . . DOGS!!!

I've been running my course for weeks now. Never once have I even heard a dog bark - really. Well, yesterday I decided to change my course. I wanted a change of scenery. Instead of running in the country, I decided to run across the highway in a residential area - a cute little subdivision where I could look at some yards and flowers instead of fields and weeds.

I was minding my own business pounding the pavement when I see this old man with two beastly dogs up ahead. No big deal. I'm not afraid of dogs - and the owner was with them. Nothing to worry about - or so I thought.
I just kept running and the first dog comes barrelling up to me barking like mad. I say, "Hey, pup" and keep running. I get closer to the old man and his other dog when out of nowhere the sucker jumps on my leg and takes a bite out of my arm. Luckily I had my sweatshirt on.

It's a little foggy what happened next. I told the man that his dog bit me and showed him my sweatshirt - but kept moving. I wasn't about to stick around and chitchat with the guy - his dogs were still barking like crazy and honestly, I was a little scared. I then looked down at my arm and turned around and said, "He broke my skin I would suggest you keep that dog on a leash." Then I ran away and burst into tears. It hurt. The adrenaline didn't help either. I was a couple miles from home and just turned around and headed home. I cried most of the way.

(top: taken right after incident, bottom left: taken 8 hrs later, bottom right: taken next day)

After I got home, I cleaned my wound and called Animal Services. Come to find out, I had to have the address of the man for them to do anything. So, next time I get bit by a dog, I'll have to remember to get the address so that I can at least make sure the dog has had it's shots and I'm not going to die of rabies. This morning I ran with this: The officer told me I could spray a dog with pepper spray whether I was in the city limits or without. I purchased this cute pink - supporting breast cancer - pepper spray for ten bucks. We look forward to running many miles together.

The sucky part? Now every time I hear a dog bark, my heart starts beating a million beats per second. I don't want a fear of dogs, but how do I convince my instincts otherwise?

8 comments:

Camie Rae said...

Um what?!?! EXCUSE ME?! Brooke I can't even believe this happened to you! Whatever! I probably would have collapsed into a puddle of crying sobbing goo! Not even kidding! You're so brave. And this makes me so mad! That guy just didn't do anything? Thom says he would have punted the dog, owner there or not. (He was bitten BAD when he was a kid) Oooh that makes me mad!!! But you are awesome and I love you.

lynsey said...

OW! i would have freaked out. and yelled a string of profanities at the owner. you are awesome for staying so in control! now you have a fear of dogs like i have a fear of cats. i'd like to say it goes away, but mine has been there since i was 6 and my cat bit my cheek out of nowhere and stuck her claws in my neck. everytime i hear a "meow" i cringe in fear and put my hands to my neck. i wish i could offer help on how to get over it, but clearly i am still needing therapy for this one. just don't stop running!

Anonymous said...

Brooke! That is so scary. That is seriously one of my fears when I am running. I know the feeling you are talking about when you hear a dog bark...and I have yet to get a bite rom a dog. You poor thing. I can't believe the man didn't do anything. So weird! That is one crazy bite...and bruise. I am glad your injuries aren't any worse than that!

ali said...

OMGsh...how traumatic! I think that would be enough to keep me in my cozy bed!

ps...you are really inspiring me to get my butt moving!

Unknown said...

Brooke! goodness me! that is quite the bite! and oh man I cannot believe you still got up and ran the next day, pepper spray or not! I am glad that your okay.... but I would be totally scared of dogs too! I got bit by a cat and now hate them beyond words.... I am so sorry yo uwent through this!

NICKI said...

What... the... CRAP? I am so sorry but I am laughing in horror. I don't know what to say. That is crazy. I am coming over and we are going on a midnight run-you know... to "take care of things". Okay, so how many sprays does that little pink thing have in it? I totally want to get some and ANY dog that does ANYthing is gonna get a spray. I hate yappy dogs let alone the big scary ones. They need to learn a lesson. Leave us runners alone! By the way, we so need to talk. I am over my crappy spell I was under the other day when I called crying. I am a dork. Because of your inspiration I will be going running with Bryce in the morning at 5 am! Thanks for the motivation. If a dog comes after us I will just put Bryce in front of me. That will bye me like 30 seconds, right? Have you thought any more about Bear Lake 10K? I really hope you do it!

NICKI said...

What... the... CRAP? I am so sorry but I am laughing in horror. I don't know what to say. That is crazy. I am coming over and we are going on a midnight run-you know... to "take care of things". Okay, so how many sprays does that little pink thing have in it? I totally want to get some and ANY dog that does ANYthing is gonna get a spray. I hate yappy dogs let alone the big scary ones. They need to learn a lesson. Leave us runners alone! By the way, we so need to talk. I am over my crappy spell I was under the other day when I called crying. I am a dork. Because of your inspiration I will be going running with Bryce in the morning at 5 am! Thanks for the motivation. If a dog comes after us I will just put Bryce in front of me. That will bye me like 30 seconds, right? Have you thought any more about Bear Lake 10K? I really hope you do it with me!

Lindsay said...

What the heck, Brooke! Holy Cow! I can't believe that happened to you! Everytime I run by a dog, my heart pounds really fast and I walk as slow as I can. I saw a documentary one time on dogs and they said never to run away from dogs or they'll run after you. I don't want any freakin' dog chasing me! I can't BELIEVE that owner didn't do anything! Is he psycho!! I would've totally screamed at that guy and made him do something about it! I have a neighbor with 4 dogs.....so right now, I have NO tolerance for owners who just let their dogs do WHATEVER they want!!!! I'm SO sorry! If that dog ever comes at you again, I hope you spray it right in the face and BLIND IT!