So, I get up - way too early by the way - and start breakfast. Which, I must say, I rarely have breakfast ready before Ben goes to work, so I was feeling rather good. Well, for family home evening last week we made Cadence a job chart. You know, she has jobs like make bed, pick up toys, sort silverware. Well, she came in after having her shower, and I asked her to sort the silverware so we could eat. She told me no. I asked again. She told me no again. So, I started doing it myself - in a not kind way - might I add. So then she decides she better help. "I'll help you, Mommy," she said sweetly. This is a three year old we're talking about, - and what do I say? Not, "Thanks, honey" or "That would be nice." Before I even realized it, I said, "I'll do it myself!" At that very moment, it was like I was having an out of body experience. I can't tell you how many times my own mother said that to us (you know it's true Blake!!) "I'll do it MYSELF!" - as she starts doing the chore that you were asked to do - and then you knew it was all over. Mom had had it with the belligerence. Once we pushed her over that edge - it was all over but the crying. Well, I'll admit that I have shed my share of tears this morning. I feel horrible for treating Cadence the way I did. She came into my room as I was crying and gave me a hug - told me she was sorry - and asked me if I wanted breakfast in bed. What am I doing to my sweet Cadence? Oh, the woes of motherhood.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









5 comments:
Dont feel alone! I have similar moments when I treat the kids like my mom treated me and it stops me in my tracks!
What a sweetie to come in and ask you if you want breakfast!!! Sounds like she is a GREAT little girls already!
Funny how those moments always changes the behavior of the child more than the asking them several times. They MAKE us do it! If they'd just do something the FIRST time you ask...aaahhh...I've been there many times. Cadence will make it through just fine. She sounds so sweet. Did you take her up on the breakfast in bed? :)
Oh Brooke...I think it's time to go out for another milkshake.
OK so what's the horrible mom that did this to her kids originally supposed to say? I never once as a young mother dreamed that what I was doing (the best I knew at the time) would come back to haunt me or haunt my children. At least you are mom enough to realize there could be a problem and fix it NOW. I feel so bad that I screwed you up yet so good that you have turned into such a GREAT mom. Keep plugging, Cadence will be GREAT too. I love you just as much as you love Cadence.
You are such a great Mom! We ALL have those moments and I probably have them more than you since I have boys.....they aren't as sensitive and emotional as girls. But, I have my girl now and I'm sure I will be in the same boat as you sooner than I think!
Post a Comment